Visa to Travel to Sri Lanka
- Public Opening Hours – Mon – Fri from 9.30am to 1pm.
- Telephone Inquires – Mon – Fri from 2.30pm to 5.00pm.
- No prior appointments – First come first served basis.
- All original documents must be submitted along with photocopies.
- Fees – ONLY CASH at the Consular Counters.
TYPES OF VISA
- Tourist Visa & Transit Visa
• Business Visa
• Visa for Elective Studies/Voluntary Work
• Work / Residence Visa
• Visa for Media Personnel: Journalists/Photojournalists & Film Crew
Please submit your visa Application in Advance to avoid unnecessary delays
Duration to process Visa Application
THE EARLIEST YOU CAN APPLY IS 3 MONTHS BEFORE YOU TRAVEL
- Tourist Visa – Issuing after5-6 working days between 9.30am to 1pm (Download Application)
- Business Visa – Issuing after 7-8 workingdays between 9.30am to 1pm (Download Application)
- Entry Visa – 1-2 working days to process the application. (Download Application)
- Diplomatic Visa – 5-6 Working days between 9.30pm to 1.00pm (Download Application)
Visa Application forms can be obtained
• From the Consular Division, of this High Commission between 9.30 a.m. & 1.00 p.m.
• By post, by sending a self addressed, stamped envelope (9′ x 6′) with a request letter
Tel : 0207 262 1841 Ext: 0223/0242
Who are eligible for Visa Exemptions?
- Sri Lankan dual citizens.
- Children, whose birth has been registered under section 5(2) of Citizenship Act – 1948 up to 21 years of age.
- Children born in Sri Lanka if they are under 18 years of age. (even when they hold foreign passports)
The Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) Facility
The Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) system is now in operation.
ETA website: www.eta.gov.lk
However, the ETA is not a pre-condition to board a flight/vessel to Sri Lanka.
Bona-fide tourists who arrive in Sri Lanka without an ETA reference number would be issued visas on arrival upon payment of the relevant ETA processing fee.
PASSPORTS SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST SIX MONTHS (180 DAYS) OF VALIDITY WHEN TRAVELLING TO SRI LANKA
Please note that there is a strict validity period applies for all passports to travel to Sri Lanka.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
- Under no circumstance could you change the status of visa while in Sri Lanka. For example: a person who visits Sri Lanka on holiday cannot engage in any business, profession, social work, charity or any other form of voluntary work or employment paid or unpaid without obtaining prior visas for such purposes. If such changes are required after arrival in Sri Lanka, the person will be required to leave the country and obtain the appropriate visa from the nearest Sri Lankan Mission, with the approval of the Controller General of Immigration & Emigration.
- If the passports and documents are to be returned by post, you should provide a self-addressed prepaid/stamped special delivery envelope to the weight of 500g along with your application form. The special delivery cover should not be stamped with a postage printout issued by the post office for same day use. Applications sent without prepaid special delivery cover/ or postage will be retained until the applicant collects it personally.
Note: The High Commission will not take any responsibility for documents lost in the post.
- If the applicant is unable to come personally to the High Commission to collect the Passport/ documents, he/she may authorise another person, in writing. The person who comes for collection of documents should produce his identity and the original receipt issued by this High Commission.
- Incomplete applications received by post will be returned.
- Visa fees paid will not be refunded.
- Irish passport holders should include an additional amount of £8/- if they require their passports to be sent back to Ireland by registered airmail.
- If a visitor wishes to extend his stay in Sri Lanka, he/she should apply to the Department of Immigration & Emigration,Suhurupaya, Sri Subuthipura Road, Baththaramulla, Sri Lanka before the expiry of visa
- Visitors should hold a return onward air ticket or sufficient funds for air ticket.
- Visitors should possess sufficient funds equivalent to US. $. 30/- (minimum) per day for board and lodging for the duration of stay.
Under certain circumstances interviews will be conducted by the high commission and the interviewees might be asked to provide extra documents if necessary
Under any circumstances there is no refund
For Residence or Work visa and visa for Volunteer Work or personnel attached to Non-Governmental Organizations please contact:
Department of Immigration & Emigration
Suhurupaya, Sri Subuthipura Road,
Tel: 0094 11 5329000
Fax: 00 94 11 2885358