Issuance of new passports
Notice to the general public who wish to obtain consular services
For the convenience of the general public and taking into consideration the social distancing requirements during the COVID-19 pandemic, all consular services of the High Commission are now provided by prior appointment. Therefore, those who wish to visit the Consular Section of the High Commission for consular services are requested to obtain a prior appointment which can be made online by clicking the ‘Appointments for Consular Services’ menu item on the home page of our website or clicking the link https://hclappontments.embassyonline.lk.
Please note that appointments can only be made online and not by telephoning the High Commission. We regret our inability to provide consular services to anyone who visits the Consular Section without a prior appointment.
Please also note that a separate appointment should be made in respect of each applicant/application.
Issuance of a New Passport in lieu of a Current / Expired Passport
A Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration can apply for a Sri Lankan Passport. Ordinary passports are valid for 10 years from the date of issuance unless otherwise endorsed. A new passport should be obtained on the expiry of 10 years from the date of issue, or if there are no pages for visa endorsements.
1.Current/most recent Passport (Copies of data/photo page & observation/alteration pages)
B i) Indefinite Leave to Enter the UK has been granted and the applicant has stayed more than five (05) years in the UK
*There is an additional fee of GBP 36/= for certifying/attesting the affidavit.
4. Original Birth Certificate (Translations are not accepted)
5. Certificate under the Citizenship Act (Under Section 5(2) or 17) required, if the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka or a citizen by registration.
6. Appropriate Academic/professional certificates are required for skilled professionals and a letter from the employer stating the designation is required for other professions. (Please note that including the profession/occupation/job in the passport is not compulsory. It’s optional.)
7. Marriage Certificate if the applicant is married and wishes to have husband’s surname included/changed (from maiden name) in the passport
8. Copies of Sri Lankan National Identity Card , Sri Lankan Driving Licence (If available)
9. Dual Citizenship Certificate and British Passport (If the applicant is a Dual Citizen)
10. If the applicant is a child under 16 years, following documents are additionally required.
- Consent of the Parents from both parents
- Copies of parents current passports (Data page, observation/alteration pages and child inclusion pages)
- Current visa in the UK.
- Parent’s Marriage Certificate ( If they were married)
- Other appropriate documents (such as decision of the court if parents have divorced, death certificate if one or both parents are deceased, documentary evidence with regards to the legal guardianship/custody of minor)
- – Application should be filled preferably in BLOCK letters.
- – If the applicant is present at the Sri Lanka High Commission in London to submit the application for a new passport, attestation will be done by the High Commission Official free of charge.
- – If the applicant is sending the passport application by post or with an authorised representative, the application should be certified/attested by a Solicitor registered in the UK or by a General Practitioner (GP).
- – Coloured identical three (03) photographs (Size – 3.5cm x 4.5cm) in white background obtained within the last 04 weeks showing full face with both ears and forehead visible. Photographs should be without hat, helmet, glasses or any other face covering.(Photo booth facility is available at the High Commission premises at the cost of £6 for 5 passport size photographs)
- – Applicant must sign inside both of the boxes immediately below the photographs. Please ensure that the signatures does not touch the borders.
Instructions for sending the applications by post
- Applicant should send the duly completed/certified application along with all the originals of the Required documents with one set of photocopies.
- Postal Order/Banker’s Draft for an amount of £ 125/= drawn in favour of Sri Lanka High Commission
- Please provide a self-addressed prepaid special delivery envelope to the weight of 500g along with your application form, to return the new passport along with previous passport and the other documents submitted.
- Submission of forged certificates or any other documents as well as making false declarations is an offence. Such cases will be reported to relevant authorities.
- Fees will not be refunded at any circumstances.
- Fees of rejected applications will not be refunded.
- If the passports and documents are to be returned by post, you should provide a self-addressed prepaid special delivery envelope to the weight of 500g along with your application form.
Applications sent without prepaid special delivery cover/ or postage will be retained until the applicant collects it personally.
Note: The High Commission will not take any responsibility for documents lost/damaged in the post.
Applicants are advised to peruse the passport alteration & observation page … for any restrictions imposed by the Immigration Department.
If the applicant is unable to come personally to the High Commission to collect the Passport/ documents, he/she may authorise another person, in writing to collect the passport. The person who comes to collect the documents should produce his identity and the original receipt issued by this High Commission.
Irish passport holders should include an additional amount of £10/ – if they require their passports to be sent back to Ireland by registered airmail.