Getting Married in Sri Lanka
We would like to congratulate you on your decision to get married in Sri Lanka. To be able to marry in Sri Lanka, please ensure that you have the documents listed below.
The legal requirements for Registration of Marriages of Foreign Nationals in Sri Lanka are very straightforward. You are required to produce the following documents to the Additional District Registrar of the area where your marriage would take place.
- Valid passports of the couple wishing to get married.
- Original Birth certificates of the couple wishing to get married.
- The following documents should be certified by the Foreign & Commonwealth and Development Office (for British nationals) and legalised by the Sri Lanka High Commission, London: –
- Singles – Unmarried certificate (Sample of Unmarried Certificate) *click here to download the format
- Divorcees- Divorce Certificate and Free to Marry Certificate.
- If widowed, the Death Certificate of the late spouse, previous marriage certificate and Free to Marry Certificate.
- If you have changed your name, a Deed Poll (including divorcees who have reverted to their maiden names)
- Unmarried Certificate / Free to Marry Certificate: – An affidavit /statutory declaration signed by a solicitor to confirm who you are and your present status (un-married/ free marry). Separate affidavits for the period of time lived in different countries which are certified/legalised by UK Foreign Office/respective Foreign Ministry & Sri Lankan Mission accredited to that country.
- For other nationals living in the UK, the document should be certified by their respective Diplomatic Mission in the UK.
- The original copy of the Security Clearance Certificate obtained from the security authorities (link – www.acro.police.uk) should be sent to the Civil Registration Unit of the Registrar General’s Department of Sri Lanka through the local party or through an agent of the local party, indicating that the foreign party/parties have not convicted for any offence during the past six months.
Please note that obtaining the “Security Clearance Report” of that person will proceed through the Registrar General’s Department. A license will be issued to register such marriage by the Registrar General according to that report and it will be advert to the local party or to the agent of the local party to hand over to the Additional District Registrar whom the marriage proceeds to register. (A copy of the licence will also be adverted to the relevant Divisional Secretariat/ Land Registration Office for reference)
- A self declaration (Health Declaration Form- click here to download the format) for the confirmation of the health conditions from the relevant foreign Party.
- In addition, a tourist visa should be obtained to visit Sri Lanka for getting married.
- Duly completed ETA Tourist Visa application form
- Passport with two unused visa pages (validity should be at least six months from the date you arrive in Sri Lanka)
- Copy of Passport (Data page/Photo page)
- Two recent photographs -passport size- taken within last 3
- If you are a non-British or non-EU citizen, you need to show a valid UK visa.
- Relevant visa fee (* Other applicable charges will apply)
If you are sending the application by post, please send a postal order/banker’s draft to “High Commission of Sri Lanka”.
You can handover the above in person or send by post (special delivery). If you want us to return your passport by post, please include a self-addressed special delivery stamped envelope.
PLEASE NOTE: You must get your marriage certificate certified by the Consular Affairs Section of the Foreign Ministry in Colombo (02nd Floor, Ceylinco Building, Janadhipathi Mawatha, Colombo 01) and then get it counter certified by this Mission within one year. If the certificate issued in Sinhalese/ Tamil language you may obtain official English translation from the Register General Office (www.rgdept.lk) and certified that as well by the Foreign Ministry and by this Mission. Only then will your marriage certificate be valid to submit to authorities outside of Sri Lanka.
For more information, please contact:
| For travel information:
Sri Lanka Tourist Promotion Bureau
No. 13, Hyde Park Gardens
London W2 2LU
Tel: 020 72621841
|For Visa Information:
Sri Lanka High Commission, London