Notice to the General Public
Due to the national lockdown announced by the UK Government on 4 January 2021, Consular services of the High Commission will be offered only only via telephone until further notice.
Please call the following telephone numbers for Consular Services:
Passport – 07404298581
Birth Registration/Citizenship Certificate – 07405085778
Pension – 07459150009
Any other consular matter – 07459610662
Please note that our general telephone number 0207 262 1841 may not be operational during this period and for general inquiries please call the numbers 07404237391 (for Sinhala and English speakers) and 07459719114 (for Tamil speakers).
Resumption/Retention of Sri Lankan Citizenship (Dual Citizenship)
- Public Opening Hours – Mon – Fri from 9.30am to 1 pm
- Telephone Inquiries – Mon – Fri from 2.30p.m. to 5.00pm
- All original documents must be submitted along with photocopies
- Fees – ONLY CASH at the Consular Counters
- Official website of the High Commission of Sri Lanka in London
Instructions for Applicants Applying for Dual Citizenship
- Who is Eligible to apply:
A person whose Sri Lankan citizenship has already ceased under section 19, 20 or 21 of the Citizenship Act, No. 18 of 1948 or a person whose Sri Lankan citizenship is likely to cease as a result of obtaining British Citizenship in the future.
- Resumption – Section 19(2) of the said Act affords provisions in respect of a person whose citizenship of Sri Lanka has ceased due to the obtaining of citizenship of another country and who thereafter desires to resume the status as a citizen of Sri Lanka.
- Retention – Section 19(3) of the said act affords provisions in respect of a person who desires to obtain citizenship in another country while intending to retain the citizenship of Sri Lanka.
- Instructions with Regard to Filing the Application
- To be completed in “BLOCK CAPITALS”.
- Delete inapplicable word or words wherever * appears in the application.
- Please print “Not relevant” if the information is not applicable.
- Each member of the family must submit a separate application along with 3 passport size colour photographs. Affix one of these photographs on the top right-hand corner of the first page of the application.
- Any applicant who belongs to any one of the categories mentioned in Section 1 of the application (A to G) can apply for dual citizenship. Please mark (√) in the relevant box.
- The declaration in page 6 has to be signed by the applicant and witnessed by a Solicitor, a Commissioner of Oaths or an authorised officer at the High Commission.
- Computer Data Sheet should be completed in “BLOCK CAPITALS”
- Supporting Documents Required for Dual Citizenship Application
- Original Birth Certificate of the applicant or an extract issued by the Registrar General.
(If the applicant is a citizen of Sri Lanka by registration, the relevant original certificate or an extract.)
- If the applicant is married, the marriage certificate or an extract issued by the Registrar General.
- An applicant submitting the application for Resumption under section 19(2) (A person whose Sri Lankan Citizenship ceased due to the obtaining of citizenship of another country) should submit the following documents in addition to the above documents in section 3.
(a) Original foreign Citizenship Certificate.
(b) Foreign passport.
(c) A recent Police clearance report from the country of foreign citizenship not older than 3 months (applicants above 16 only) (www.acro.police.uk).
(d) Previous Sri Lankan passport/s (if available).
An applicant submitting the application for Retention under section 19(3) (A person who desires to obtain citizenship in another country, while intending to retain the citizenship of Sri Lanka) should submit the following documents in addition to the documents, in section 3.
(a) Current Sri Lankan passport.
(b) Permanent residence visa.
(c) A recent Police clearance report from the country of permanent residence not older than 3 months (applicants above 16 only) (www.acro.police.uk).
- Those applying under the ‘Age category’ (1.A) should submit the original birth certificate or an extract issued by the Registrar General.
- Those applying under the ‘Professional category’ (1.B) should submit the applicant’s original Educational / Professional certificates (minimum one-year diploma or higher, or any other professional qualification).
- Those applying under the ‘Assets / Properties category’ (1.C) should submit the original documentary proof of applicant’s assets such as: land or other immovable properties in Sri Lanka worth LKR 2.5 million or above; original deeds; original valuation report; and title report with pedigree for the same not older than 3 months should be submitted.
- Those applying under the ‘Fixed Deposit of Rs. 2.5 million or above category’ (1.D) should submit the original deposit certificate and a confirmation letter from the bank confirming that the deposit will be held for a period of three (03) years after applying for dual citizenship.
- Those applying under the ‘Fixed deposit of USD 25,000 or above – category’ (1.E) should submit the original deposit certificate and a confirmation letter from the bank confirming that the deposit will be held for a period of three (03) years after applying for dual citizenship.
- Those applying under the ‘Treasury Bond (TB) or Security Investment Account (SIA) valued of USD 25,000 for minimum 3 years period – category’ (1.F) should submit a certificate from the relevant Authority confirming that the investment will not be withdrawn prior to maturity, even after obtaining dual citizenship.
- Those applying under the ‘Spouse of an applicant or an unmarried child under the age of 22 (Applications should be submitted prior to completion of the age of 21 years and 06 months.) of the applicants – category’ (1.G) should submit the original marriage certificate (For Spouse) or original birth certificate (For unmarried child – born in Sri Lanka) or original Citizenship certificate issued under section 5(2) of the Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948 (For unmarried child- born outside Sri Lanka). Spouse or children eligible under this category shall be limited to persons whose citizenship of Sri Lanka has ceased in accordance with section 19, 20 or 21 of the Citizenship Act No 18 of 1948 or a person whose Sri Lankan citizenship is likely to cease.
- Translated documents will not be considered as original documents. (Eg: English Translation of Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Police Reports. etc)
- The duly completed application/s should be submitted to the Department of Immigration and Emigration or to the relevant Sri Lankan Overseas Missions by the applicant.
- All the documents except those in English, Sinhala or Tamil should be submitted along with an English translation duly certified by the relevant Foreign High Commission / Embassy in the UK.
- Submission of application.
Applicants in the United Kingdom or Northern Ireland can submit their applications either directly to the Controller General of Immigration & Emigration, when they visit Sri Lanka or to the Sri Lankan High Commission in London.
Applying through the Sri Lankan High Commission in London should;
- Submit the originals and a set of photocopies of supporting documents for each application.
- Pay a non- refundable Dual citizenship processing fee of GBP 15 is to be paid at the counter. If applying BY Post, a postal order in favour of the High Commission of Sri Lanka should be obtained along with a prepaid special delivery envelope (to return all originals), should be sent with the application.
Care: DO NOT send Cash by post.
- If the affidavit is required to be signed at the Sri Lankan High Commission, the additional fee will be a sum of GBP 36.
- Dual Citizenship Fee (To be paid in Sri Lanka)
Main Applicant Rs. 345,000.00
Spouse of Applicant Rs. 57,500.00
Unmarried child below 22 years Rs. 57,500.00
The Department of Immigration & Emigration will notify the applicant to make the payment, once the application is approved.
- For matters with regard to the submission of applications
High Commission of Sri Lanka,
No.13, Hyde Park Gardens,
London, W2 2LU,
- Inquiries after the submission of application
The Controller General,
Department of Immigration and Emigration,
Sri Subhuthipura Road, Battaramulla,