Registration of Marriages
LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATIONS OF MARRIAGES IN MISSION/ SRI LANKA (FOR FOREIGN NATIONALS)
PLEASE NOTE: Marriages registered at the Sri Lanka High Commission in London are not recognised by the British authorities, unless the marriage has first been registered in accordance with the UK regulations.
One of the parties to the marriage should be a Sri Lankan national and should give Notice of Marriage to the High Commission. (Forms are available at the High Commission).
- Valid passports with current visas of both parties should be produced.
- Original Birth Certificates with English translation of both parties
- Two (02) witnesses – should be Sri Lankan nationals with valid visas and valid passports at their presence. Witnesses should be known to the both parties.
- Both parties should submit following documents
- a) Singles – Unmarried certificate/s
b) Divorcees- Divorce Certificate and Free to Marry Certificate/s
c) If widowed, the Death Certificate of your late spouse, your previous marriage certificate and Free to Marry Certificate
d) If you have changed your name, a Deed Poll (including divorcees who have reverted to their maiden names)
- Unmarried certificate / Free to Marry Certificate: – An affidavit/ statutory declaration signed by a solicitor to confirm who you are and your present status (un-married/ free marry). Separate affidavits for the period of time lived in different countries which are certified/ legalised by the respective Foreign Office and attested by the Sri Lankan Mission accredited to that country.
- Unmarried Certificates of Sri Lankan nationals for the time lived in Sri Lanka should be attested by the Consular Division of the Ministry of External Affairs in Colombo.
- Unmarried Certificates of non Sri Lankan nationals should be certified by their respective Diplomatic Mission in the UK and legalised by the Sri Lanka High Commission in London.
- Residence Requirements: – Both parties should have lived in the UK for ten (10) or more days immediately prior to the date of giving notice of marriage.
1. Notice of Marriage: – the Notice of Marriage Form should be completed in the presence of a Diplomatic Officer and signed by two (02) witnesses at presence at the High Commission.
2. Marriage Registration: – Any time after twelve (12) working days and before three (03) months of giving notice at the High Commission premises.
1. Notice of Marriage – £ 15
2. Registration of Marriage – £ 25
Registrar General’s Department
No 280, Main Street Colombo 11
TP: 00 94 11 2393071
Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
No. 14, 3rd Floor,
Sir Baron Jayatillaka Mawatha.
Tel: 0094 11 4718972 / 4719593