Registration of Marriages

Please note that marriages registered at the Sri Lanka High Commission in London are not recognised by the British authorities, unless the marriage has first been registered in accordance with the UK regulations.

At least one of the parties to the marriage should be a Sri Lankan national who should give Notice of Marriage to the High Commission. (Forms are available at the High Commission).


  • Valid passports with current visas of both parties should be produced.
  • Original Birth Certificates with English translation of both parties.
  • Two (02) witnesses – should be Sri Lankan nationals with valid passports and valid visas. Witnesses should be known to both parties.
  • Both parties should submit following documents
  1. a) Singles – Unmarried certificate/s
    b) Divorcees-  Divorce Certificate and Free to Marry Certificate/s
    c) If widowed, the Death Certificate of the late spouse, previous marriage certificate and Free to Marry Certificate
    d) If they have changed their name, a Deed Poll (including divorcees who have reverted to their maiden names).
  • Unmarried certificate / Free to Marry Certificate: – An affidavit/ statutory declaration signed by a solicitor to confirm who you are and your present status (un-married/ free marry). Separate affidavits for the period of time lived in different countries which are certified/ legalised by the UK Foreign Office/respective Foreign Ministry and attested by the Sri Lankan Mission accredited to that country.
  • Unmarried Certificates of Sri Lankan nationals for the time they have lived in Sri Lanka should be attested by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Colombo.
  • Unmarried Certificates of non Sri Lankan nationals should be legalised/attested by the UK Foreign Office or respective Diplomatic Mission in the UK and legalised by the Sri Lanka High Commission in London.
  • Residence Requirements: – Both parties should have lived in the UK for ten (10) or more days immediately prior to the date of giving notice of marriage.


1.    Notice of Marriage: – the Notice of Marriage Form should be completed in the presence of a Diplomatic Officer and signed by two (02) witnesses at the presence of a Diplomatic Officer at the High Commission.

2.    Marriage Registration: – Registration of Marriage can be done after twelve (12) working days and before three (03) months of giving notice to the High Commission.


1.  Notice of Marriage   – £ 26
2.  Registration of Marriage – £ 41

*  Other applicable charges will apply.