Tourist Visa and Transit Visa
Tourist Visa & Transit Visa
[Granting of Tourist Visa in one stretch up to 180 days for tourists arriving via Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) ]
- Public Opening Hours – Mon – Fri from 9.30am to 1pm.
- Telephone Inquires – Mon – Fri from 2.30pm to 5.00pm.
- No prior appointments – First come first served basis.
- All original documents must be submitted along with photocopies.
- Fees –can be paid by Debit/Credit card.
You should apply for a Tourist visa if you are travelling for any of the following purposes:
- Medical treatment including ayurvedic treatment (Herbal)
- Participation in sports and cultural performance
- Sightseeing or Holidaying
- Visiting friends and relatives
If the length of stay in Sri Lanka is less than 30 days, the applicant or a third party on his/her behalf can apply for the visa by submitting an ETA application online via the ETA website www.eta.gov.lk
If the length of stay in Sri Lanka is more than 30 days, then the applicant is required to obtain the visa through the High Commission or can apply for an extension when in Sri Lanka.
To obtain Visa through the High Commission, following documents are required to be submitted
- Duly completed ETA Tourist Visa application form
- Passport with two unused visa pages (validity should be at least six months from the date you arrive in Sri Lanka)
- Copy of Passport (Data page/Photo page)
- Two recent photographs -passport size- taken within last 6 months.
- If you are a non-British or non-EU citizen, you need to show a valid UK visa.
- Relevant visa fee
If you are sending the application by post, please send a postal order/Banker’s draft to “High Commission of Sri Lanka”.
7. Please provide the following documents to obtain visa for children under 16 years,
- Consent letter from the parents.
- Copy of the parents’ marriage certificate.
- Copy of the child’s birth certificate.
- Copies of parent’s passports.
Please note that if you are not leaving the airport, a transit visa is not required.
A Transit Visa is an entry permit granted to a foreign national for admission into Sri Lanka for a brief period which is incidental and during his journey to another destination. Those who want to transit through Sri Lanka should also obtain an ETA by paying the relevant ETA Processing fee. However, if the transit period is less than 48 hrs, passengers are not required to pay the ETA Processing Fee.
The applicants themselves or a third party on their behalf can apply for a transit ETA by submitting an ETA application online via the ETA website www.eta.gov.lk