Obtaining Birth/Marriage Certificates
Obtaining Birth/Marriage Certificates from Sri Lanka
- Public Opening Hours – Mon – Fri from 9.30am to 1pm.
- Telephone Inquires – Mon – Fri from 2.30pm to 5.00pm.
- No prior appointments – First come first served basis.
- All original documents must be submitted along with photocopies.
If the Birth, Marriage or death occurred in Sri Lanka application forms can be obtained;
- From the Consular Division, of this mission between 9.30 a.m. & 1.00 p.m.
- By sending a self addressed, stamped envelope (9′ x 6′) with a request letter
Application for obtaining certified Sri Lankan Births/Marriages/Death certificates should be made directly to the:
Assistant Registrar General
Registrar General’s Department,
Central Record Room,
For More Information visit or contact department:
Tel: 00 94 11 288 9493 / 00 94 11 288 9488
Fax: 00 94 11 288 9491
- You are required to provide all possible details in the application form especially the details of the Registrar, Registrar’s Division and the Revenue District in which the Birth/ Marriage/ Death took place to enable them to locate your records.
- A Bank Draft or an International Money order for Stg. Five (£10/-) drawn in favour of ‘The Registrar General of Sri Lanka’ should be forwarded as the fee along with the application. Personal cheques are not accepted.
- Your postal address should be clearly indicated on the application.
- IMPORTANT all correspondence with regard to an application made to the Assistant Registrar General should be done directly with the Registrar Generals Department in Colombo.
- If the Birth or death occurred in United Kingdom or Ireland and has been registered at the Sri Lanka High commission IN LONDON
- Application forms can be obtained
From the Consular Division, of this mission between 9.30 a.m. & 1.00 p.m.
By sending a self addressed, stamped envelope (9′ x 6′) with a request letter
- The duly perfected application form should be forward to this High Commission.
- PAYMENT – £10/- per copy
- Payment should be made in cash at the counter or by Postal Orders/Bank Drafts written in favour of the “Sri Lanka High Commission” if sent by post. Personal cheques and credit cards are not accepted. Fees sent from Ireland should be by Bank Draft.
- All original certificates will be returned after perusal.
- If the certificates and documents are to be returned by post, you should provide a self-addressed prepaid special delivery envelope to the weight of 500g along with your application form. The special delivery cover should not be stamped with a postage printout issued by the post office for same day post. Applications sent without prepaid special delivery cover/ or postage will be retained until the applicant collects it personally.
- Note: The High Commission will not take any responsibility for documents lost in the post.
- If the applicant is unable to come personally to this High Commission to collect the Certificate/ documents, he/she may authorise another person, in writing. The person who comes for collection of documents should produce his identity and the original receipt issued by this High Commission.
All incomplete applications will be returned and payment will not be refunded.