Obtaining Birth/Marriage Certificates (Extracts) Occurred in Sri Lanka
Application for obtaining certified Sri Lankan Births/Marriages/Death certificates (Extracts) should be made directly to the relevant Divisional Secretariat Office in Sri Lanka or:
Assistant Registrar General
Registrar General’s Department,
Central Record Room,
- Application forms can be obtained By visiting the following website links –
1. Birth Extract ;
2. Marriage Extract ;
3. Death Extract ;
- Or from the Consular Division of this mission between 9.30 a.m. – 1.00 p.m.
- Or By sending a Self-addressed, stamped envelope (9′ x 6′) with a request letter
- IMPORTANT- All correspondences with regard to an application submitted to the Assistant Registrar General should be done directly with the Registrar Generals Department in Colombo.
If you wish to submit an application through this Mission, please submit the following documents;
- Duly filled application along with a copy of the Certificate (if available)
- Payment GBP 20/= in favour of “Sri Lanka High Commission” (Includes the postage)
The processing period to issue an extract of a certificate will depend on the location of the relevant Divisional Secretariat Office.
Obtaining a Birth/Marriage/Death certificate (Extract) occurred in the United Kingdom
- Duly filled application form should be forwarded to this High Commission along with a copy of the certificate (if available)
- PAYMENT – £20/- per copy (can be paid by Debit/Credit card or Postal Order in favour of “Sri Lanka High Commission”) *Other applicable charges will apply.
- Payment should be made in cash at the counter or by Postal Orders/Bank Drafts written in favour of the “Sri Lanka High Commission” if sent by post. (If the applicant is in Ireland, the amount in Sterling Pounds in an International Bank Draft should be submitted).
- Personal cheques and credit cards are not accepted.
- If the certificates and documents are to be returned by post, the applicant should provide a self-addressed prepaid envelope along with the application form. Applications sent without prepaid special delivery cover or postage will be retained until the applicant collects it personally.
- If the applicant is unable to collect the Certificate/ documents personally, he/she may authorise another person, in writing. The person who comes for collection of documents should produce his identity and the original receipt issued by this High Commission.
- Note: The High Commission will not take any responsibility for documents lost in the post.
- All incomplete applications will be returned, and payment will not be refunded.