Notice to the General Public
Submission of applications for Temporary/ Emergency passports at the Consular Section of the High Commission is strictly by prior appointment.
Appointments for application for Temporary/ Emergency passports should be made online via the link https://hclappointments.embassyonline.lk/
For inquiries on the issuance of Temporary/ Emergency passports please contact us via email email@example.com
Temporary/Emergency Passports – Non-Machine Readable Passports (NMRP)
- Public Opening Hours – Mon – Fri from 9.30am to 1pm.
- Telephone Inquires – Mon – Fri from 2.30pm to 5.00pm.
- All original documents must be submitted along with photocopies (of each document on one side of A4 size paper)
- Fees – can be paid by Debit/Credit card.
An Emergency Travel Document valid for six months may be issued to enable a Sri Lanka national to return to Sri Lanka in case of an emergency in the following circumstances.
- The original passport is lost/damaged/stolen
- The original passport is expired
- Who do not have a Passport or a Travel Document and who wish to return to Sri Lanka
- Who have withdrawn their appeal for extend a visa to stay in the UK/Ireland or relevant authorities have rejected their visa application
Temporary Travel Documents are valid for 06 months from the date of issue and issued for the sole purpose of returning to Sri Lanka. The applicants cannot travel to any other country by using a NMRP passport or cannot use it to obtain a visa to further stay in the UK/Ireland.
The applicants are required to call over at the Consular Division of this Mission in person for an interview to obtain a Temporary/Emergency Travel Document.
- A letter requesting an Emergency Travel Document
- Duly filled K 35 A application.Instructions to fill the Passport Application (K 35A)
- Police report OR Form D, Coplaint Form & Statutory Declaration (click here to download) and previous passport copy ( (If passport is lost)
- Expired Passport & copies of the data page and observation page (If available) OR any document which can be used to prove applicant’s citizenship status and identification (e.g. Birth Certificate, Sri Lanka National Identity Card)
- Confirmation of non-acquisition of British citizenship from the UK Border Agency (Form NQ– UK Home Office Confirmation letter) OR an affidavit* (click here to download the format) certified/attested by the Consular Division of the High Commission to confirm that the applicant has not obtained the British Citizenship at the time of submitting the application for a new passport, if the applicant has been issued one of the following visa categories since one year or before:
A i) Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
ii) Permanent Residence Card (PR)
B i) Indefinite Leave to Enter the UK has been granted and the applicant has
stayed more than five (05) years in the UK
- Relevant Citizenship Certificate under section 5(2) or 17 issued by the D/I&E (If the applicant is born outside Sri Lanka or a citizen by registration)
- Travel Itinerary/Air ticket (14 days ahead)
- Copy of the payment receipt issued by the High Commission
- If the applicant is a child under 16 years, following documents are additionally required.
- Consent of the Parents(click here to download the format)from both parents
- Copies of parents current passports (Data page, observation/alteration pages and child inclusion pages)
- Current visa in the UK.
- Parent’s Marriage Certificate ( If they were married)
- Other appropriate documents (such as decision of the court if parents have divorced, death certificate if one or both parents are deceased, documentary evidence with regards to the legal guardianship/custody of minor)
Note : – Child and both parents should be present to hand over the application
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR NMRP PASSPORT APPLICATION
The Prescribed Fee:
- If applicant produces the previous travel document – £44/-
- If previous travel document is lost – £135/-
- If the applicant has already applied for a new passport – £24/-
- NMRP Passport will be issued before five days to the travel date on confirmed ticket.
- On exceptional cases NMRP Passports are issued on same day at an additional charge of £25/-
Method of Payment –Debit/Credit card, Postal Order or Banker’s Draft.
(Postal Order/Banker’s Draft should be drawn in favour of Sri Lanka High Commission)
Please note that personal cheques will not be accepted.
Additional amount will be charged if the photocopies are taken from the High Commission.
Instructions for Complete Applications
- Application should be filled preferably in BLOCK LETTERS
- All certification/attestation should be done only by a Solicitor registered in the UK or by a General Practitioner (GP). If the applicant is present at the Sri Lanka High Commission in London attestation of signature in the application will be done free of charge.
- Coloured identical three (03) photographs (Size – 3.5cm x 4.5cm) in white background taken within three months at the time of applying
- The appearance of the applicant should be clearly identifiable
- The background and the dress should not be in same colour
- The face must be clearly visible without any makeup and other effects
- The ears and forehead must be clearly visible
- The photo should show the applicants’ eyes clearly without spectacles
- Applicants who request to wear caps and scarves may do so, but photographs should ensure to make forehead and ears are clearly visible. Shadows of the scarves should not reflect on the face.
(Photo booth facility is available at the High Commission premises at the cost of £8 which is self operated)
- Applicant must sign inside both of the boxes immediately below the photographs. Please ensure that the signature does not touch the borders.
- For minor Applicants who are unable to sign, parents can write a part of the child’s name in the signature cages. (Parents must not place their signature or write their name on the child’s passport application)
- Declaration of the applicant: Applicant must fill and sign the declaration. If the applicant is unable to sign (Minors), a parent can sign the declaration.
- Submission of forged certificates or any other documents as well as making false declarations is an offence. Such cases will be reported to relevant authorities.
- Fees will not be refunded under any circumstance.
- The High Commission will not take any responsibility for documents lost /damaged in the post.
- Fees of rejected applications will not be refunded.
- The NMRP passport will be issued only to the applicant. If the applicant is a child below 16 the parent who applied could receive the NMRP passport.
Note : If the applicant is unable to come to the High Commission to collect the NMRP passport/ documents, please send a self addressed prepaid special delivery envelope together with a request letter and the yellow colour receipt to get it by the recorded mail.